Monday 14 April 2014

Curry Dip

I’ve been making this dip for family gatherings and parties and braais with friends for quite a number if years. Regularly I’m asked how I make it and my answer is always, “It’s my secret.” I made it for the braai we had with friends this last Saturday past when my daughter’s sister-in-law suggested, not for the first time, that I should market it. I have one problem with packing and marketing it; I would have to add preservatives and I don’t want to do that. I prefer to make it fresh as required. Therefor I think it’s time to share my secret so my friends, who have enjoyed it on previous occasions, can make it for themselves; that includes all my Hanneica’s Kitchen Fans!

The curry powder you use will give the major flavour of the dip. I use a medium Madras masala varying the amount to adjust the degree of flavour and heat. If you prefer a mild curry flavour, use a mild masala; if it’s heat you are after, use a hot masala or add more chilli flakes. To add a bit of sweetness, I occasionally add about 30ml sweet chilli sauce instead of chilli flakes.

Warning!
Don’t be too eager to add too much chilli flakes or masala as this dip will mature in depth of flavour and heat on standing.

Whatever you do with this dip, be sure to appreciate it with special friends!

Ingredients:
125ml smooth cottage cheese or cream cheese
125ml thick Greek yoghurt
60ml tomato sauce
60ml mayonnaise
5-10ml curry powder
2.5ml garum masala
2.5ml turmeric
2.5ml chilli flakes
2.5ml ground ginger or 1 inch fresh root ginger, grated
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2-3 heaped teaspoons vegetable achar
20-30ml chopped fresh coriander
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

In a medium mixing bowl, blend all the ingredients (except the seasoning and a third of the chopped coriander) to a smooth, assimilated mixture. Mix in seasoning to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with a couple of twists of black pepper and the reserved coriander. 

No comments:

Post a Comment